1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar (sanding or granulated) for rolling cookies
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Mix in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- In a seperate bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine thoroughly so that salt & leaveners are mix evenly into the flour.
- Using a medium scoop (or heaping tablespoon), form dough balls and roll them in sugar crystals.
- Place cookie balls on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper 2 inches apart. Do not flatten dough!
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes. The cookies may look puffy and slightly undercooked but they continue to bake & set after you remove them from the oven. If they seem slightly puffy, they will flatten out & form those cute little cracks as they cool.
- Remove from oven after 10- 12 minutes and allow cookies to finish cooking on the hot cookie sheet for 5 minutes.