I was thrilled when my good friend Nikki – a Louisiana native, came over to share her delicious gumbo recipe with me and walk me through all the steps of making a great gumbo. This recipe is spicy, very flavorful and authentically Cajun!
Nicki moved back to Louisiana only a couple of months ago and I miss her. I’m glad we took the opportunity to make this recipe together. There’s nothing like two friends cooking in the kitchen! It’s a great way to learn something new and is usually an experience not soon forgotten. Thanks for the memories friend.
Nikki’s Gumbo Served Over A Bed Of Rice
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 6 ounces can tomato paste
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 – 2 stalks celery
- 1 pound crabs legs
- 1 bag shrimp
- 1 package kielbasa sausage
- 1 can corn
- 16 oz frozen okra
- 1 onion
- 1/2 of a garlic bulb
- 4 – 6 cups water (enough water to cover all ingredients)
- 1/4 cup of flour
- In a large pot, sauté celery, onion & garlic.
- In the same pot, make the roux. Start by melting the butter.
- After butter has completely melted, add flour. Stir well to combine. Cook for one minute.
- Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, parsley & cayenne pepper. Cook for a minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, sausage, bay leaves & dried thyme. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add crab legs. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add corn & okra. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes..
Now you’re ready enjoy some great Cajun flavors all coming together in one pot.