This is my favorite sauce. Actually, I use it for most of my pasta dishes. The fennel seeds really bring this sauce to life so make sure not to leave them out.
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 16 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 16 ounces of tomato sauce
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 pound ground beef, browned
- In a large pan add a drizzle of oil and ground beef. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Brown the ground beef and set it aside.
- In a large pot, saute onions and garlic with 1 teaspoon salt until tender but not soft. About 10 minutes.
- To onions, add parsley, oregano, basil, garlic, and fennel seed. Mix well.
- Next add fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine & sugar. Mix well and cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn down the heat to low and simmer for 15 more minutes .
- Next add mushrooms & simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef and allow sauce to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve on top of prepared Ravioli sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!