- 32 ounces turnip greens
- 4 cups of water
- 1 large ham hock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Add water, salt & ham hock to a large pot. Cover and bring to steady simmer for 1 hour.
- Add turnip greens and cover for 5 minutes.
- At this point the greens will have started to wilt down. Stir the greens for about 2 minutes and then cover the greens for 5 more minutes.
- Stir the greens for 2 more minutes.
- Replace the lid and cook greens on a medium low temperature for 40 minutes.
- For additional flavor you can use chicken broth instead of water.
- When using raw meat please make sure to follow the appropriate cooking times.
- Another variation that has a lot of flavor, is to cook bacon and use the fat from the bacon to flavor the greens.
- You can also use a combination of vinegar, sugar and hot sauce to give the greens a more robust, spicy flavor.