- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups dry macaroni
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon more
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions, drain it & stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir well & set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pot over media heat. Once the butter is completely melted, add the flour. Stir well to combine, for about a minute.
- Add milk, stirring consistently until thickened, about 5 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt & pepper. Stir well.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and stir until cheese has melted & combined into the sauce.
- Pour the sauce onto the macaroni combining well. Serve right away or bake for 20 minutes for a slightly firmer texture.
- If baking, pour the macaroni into an 11×8 baking dish or one of a similar size.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.