Pizza is such a yummy, fun food & has room for much variety.
Making your own pizza dough is super easy & it’s fun. The pizza dough needs to be started at least 2 hours before you are ready to assemble your pizza. I have any easy recipe below for that. I like to use various ingredients depending on what I am in the mood for. Some of my favorite pizza ingredients are, spinach, mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, chicken, canadian bacon, onions, pineapples & jalapeno peppers & feta cheese. I always line the dough with olive oil to keep the crust from getting soggy.
Sometimes, I will then add tomato sauce for my base. Other times, I will stick with olive oil, then add salt, pepper, garlic & thin layer of cheese. Then I add my vegetables & season them well with a layer of salt, pepper, garlic & herbs. Next, I add a generous layer of cheese. Finally, I top the pizza off with a light sprinkle of salt, garlic, pepper & herbs. This creates a very flavorful pizza bursting with flavor. Of Course, everyone has different tastes buds, so you would adjust accordingly.
Honey Wheat Crust
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- Add other spices to taste – if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Slowly, add the all purpose flour as needed, just until the dough becomes easy to work with.
- Knead the dough for about 2 minutes.
- Let dough rise in a warm place for 1 or more hours.
- Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
*****When preparing pizza, spread a thin layer of olive oil on the unbaked crust before adding toppings. This protects the crust from absorbing moisture from the toppings & become soggy.