To avoid chemicals & unwanted ingredients in processed breads I opt to make most of my own breads. It’s also much tastier too! Being able to tweak the amount of sugar & fat you are taking in, is another benefit. This Spice Bread is a great recipe because you can add variety to it by including ingredients such as, dried cranberries, oats, nuts, apples & more.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla and milk until smooth
- In a separate bowl, blend flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, baking powder & salt.
- Begin adding flour mixture to wet ingredients.
- Stir just until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Bake in a 9 inch loaf pan on 350 degrees F in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove from water bath and continue baking for 30- 35 minutes.