As I was cooking this chili today, I started wondering about the history behind this tasty dish. Indeed, chili has a long history with many tales & fanciful stories that fill books & internet pages. I found it all very fascinating. Of particular interest is a fact that I was quite surprised by. Of course, chili recipes vary by the maker, but traditionally chili does not include tomatoes or beans in the recipe. Some really cool facts & details about the history of chili can be found here….
This recipe makes a generous amount of chili & to ensure that it is bursting with flavor, the recipe calls for an abundance of delicious spices & of course plenty of chili powder!
- 24oz diced tomatoes
- 24oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz water
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 7 oz of corn (1/2 can)
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup diced jalapenos
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- spice mixture for ground beef or turkey (below)
- 2 tsp garlic
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 tsp chili powder
Spices for Ground Beef or Turkey
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cumin
- In a large pot, combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, spices & onion.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until the onions have softened.
- Meanwhile, coat a pan with oil and add ground beef or ground turkey & spices.
- Saute until ground beef or turkey is fully cooked.
- Add ground beef or turkey, beans, corn & jalapenos to pot.
- Let simmer with lid, on medium heat for 15 minutes.