When I’m in the mood to bake something rich & sugary like this, I have a method that helps me from consuming all those yummy but unneeded calories – share the love with my friends! A gift basket or bag is an easy & fun way to do it. This is also the perfect go to recipe to take to a social gathering or on a tea date. Baked goods also freeze very well. This is great so that I always have a little somethin’ somethin’ on hand for another time.
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or oats
- Apple filling, recipe below
- 3 cups flour, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a 13 X 9 pan
- Make apple filing (directions below) – set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup softened butter and nuts or oats. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add milk, ½ cup softened butter, vegetable oil, & eggs.Mix for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, throughly combine 3 cups of flour, white sugar, baking powder & salt.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients to batter. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour ½ of the batter into prepared pan.
- Spoon apple filling evenly over batter.
- Spread ½ brown sugar mixture evenly over apple filling.
- Add remaining batter to pan.
- Spread remaining brown sugar mixture over batter.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes. Cut into squares. Drizzle with Carmel glaze. Recipe Below.
- 2 apples, peeled & sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 TBSP cold water
- ¼ ~½ tsp salt
Mix cornstarch with water until it has dissolved. Set aside. Put all ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium heat until apples have softened but there is still a slight firmness to the apples. Next, stir in dissolved cornstarch. Allow mixture to continue heating & to thicken for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat & set aside.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
Bring brown sugar, butter, and milk to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Stir 1 minute. Drizzle glaze over cake and serve.