Oats are not the prettiest breakfast choice, but they are hearty & can be tasty if dressed up a little. Oats are a good source of fiber & protein so you feel fuller longer & this can also help to stabilize your energy. We like our oatmeal with more texture & less like porridge, so if you like your oatmeal with more liquid you won’t like this recipe. However, you can use this recipe as a base & just add less oats to the boiling water to get the texture you desire.
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups quick steele cut oats
- a pinch of salt
- a handful of dried cranberries
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp butter
- Brown sugar added to taste
- A sprinkling of diced almonds, walnuts or pecans
- After water has been brought to boil add pinch of salt, cinnamon, butter, dried cranberries, apple. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in oats. Drop temperature down to low and cover with lid.
- Uncover & stir every minute. Return lid after stirring. The lid will help the oats to cook & retain moisture instead of escaping into the air.
- Repeat this step until the oats are cooked evenly through & have the texture you desire.
- Oats should be done in approximately 5 minutes.
- Add sugar to taste.
- If desired, sprinkle nuts on each serving.