I made this for the first time on Friday & it is definitely a new favorite! One cup of sugar to 3 cups of flour makes this bread mildly sweet & perfect with our morning cup of tea.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat four
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS Lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 /3 cup sugar
- Juice from 1 lemon
Heat until sugar dissolves & mixture becomes a light syrup.
- Stir sugar, oil, vanilla, eggs, milk & lemon zest until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour, baking powder & salt. Add to wet ingredients. Stir just until blended.
- In a separate bowl, toss 1 TBS of flour with blueberries.
- Next, gently fold in blueberries.
- Bake in a 9 inch loaf pan on 350 degrees F in a water bath for 20 minutes .
- Remove from water bath and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- After removing the bread from the oven use a knife to gently separate the bread from the pan. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from the pan. Poke holes in the bread and brush on the lemon syrup.