5 cups all purpose flour
5 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups of water
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
2 packages active dry yeast
- In a large bowl, mix warm water, 1/3 cup honey. Stir well. Add yeast. Add 5 cups of flour – but mix well after each 1 cup addition. Let set for about 30 minutes.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1/3 cup honey, and salt.
- Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Stir until well blended.
- Flour a flat surface with 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Pour dough over flour. Top dough with an additional cup of whole wheat flour and knead for about 1 minute. Pick up dough and spread 1/2 cup flour on the surface. Put the dough on the surface and sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup of flour over the dough. Knead for about 2 more minutes.
- Dough will still be slightly sticky.
- Place in a greased bowl. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down, and divide into 2 loaves. Pat each piece of dough with a little flour on each to smooth & round out the dough.
- Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Gently press each loaf into the pan. Allow to rise until dough has filled pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 25 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil when done to prevent crust from getting hard.
- Cool completely.